Hofsnäs History

It all begins sometime in 1400. When built, the isthmus between outer Åsunden and Torpa Lake, a fortified farm. Hofsnäs oldest history is not better known than that, but the first mention we find as far back as the 1488th. Then the farm was called Håcksnäs and inhabited by squire Jons Nilsson.

In 1526 Hofsnäs was home of another squire. It was, in fact, Severin (Söffren) Kijl, Gustav Vasa’s captain who later was appointed colonel in the hold box-feud. Severin said to have been the estate of Gustav Vasa, who thanks to the king, he helped to escape from the Danes. But only 13 years later, Gustav Vasa got Hofsnäs back. It was rumored that Severin steered his fiefdom all too tough. The king visited him disguised as a single rider and was clearly unhappy when Severin was driven out.


In 1552 Gustav Vasa submitted Hofsnäs
to his brother-in-law Gustaf Olofsson Stenbock. A family name that later (in 1720) would be passed for Sjöblad. But during the nearly quarter of a century-long era that Stenbock / Sjöblad family owned Hofsnäs, the farm began to deteriorate. Already in the late 1600s Hofsnäs had lost its significance as a residence and fortress.


In 1787 the manor was purchased of the Sparre family
who owned it until 1922. Det uppfördes en ny mangårdsbyggnad 1854. A new farmhouse was built in 1854. Sparre, with Sigge as first name, used the remainder of the walls from the old castle on the ground and they built the new house.


In 1922, the property was then taken over
by landlord A. Westberg from Sparre and it only managed to go one year before the house burned to the ground. But what we today call Hofsnäs was rebuilt in 1924. The Westberg family kept the manor until 1964, when the current owner, Borås, bought Hofsnäs.